Oh hey there. We haven’t talked much since the trade deadline, have we? I’d love to catch up, but right now I’m having a hard time stringing thoughts together for extended periods of time. We have plenty to talk about, but let’s start with this:
– I spent the majority of this past weekend in Albany for the MAAC Championship. I spent most of that weekend sitting right here:
Of course I was sitting a bit to the left of that so I could actually see. I’m not going to lie, sitting on press row was a lot of fun. The food was good and you can’t argue with four basketball games in one day. I didn’t get around to writing about the weekend here, but I did talk about it for a bit during the last podcast if you’re interested.
– Speaking of that podcast, we’ve done three episodes to date and we’re looking for some feedback, both good and bad. Give it a listen and let us know what you think. Should we talk about something different? Should we never do another one again? Does the music suck? We’re wondering what you think, so feel free to leave a comment or shoot us an email. It would be greatly appreciated if you do.
– We haven’t said a whole lot about Ryan Miller’s media tour, but it did generate our best Caption Contest yet. That may have something to do with the fact that we haven’t written anything since then, but whatever. Good turnout everyone, keep it up.
In all seriousness, Miller’s media blitz is exactly what I hoped would happen to him post-Vancouver. I said so in the first podcast we ran (synergy!) and I still mean it: Miller should be carted around as much as possible over the next few weeks.
Forget all the “good of the game” crap and the potential post-Olympic boost the NHL’s Q Rating may get, Ryan Miller deserves to be recognized for just how good he was in Vancouver and how good he has been for the last few seasons.
A few trips under the hot studio lights aren’t going to hurt his concentration one bit. I’m not saying he should host Saturday Night Live anytime soon (unless he gets to play an emo photographer for 90 minutes…) but an Oprah appearance or two isn’t going to ruin the guy.
– Speaking of media blitzes, this only goes to show you how much Sidney Crosby is the anti-Ryan Miller. We discussed this in Episode 2 of RoostCast (Bam!) and I really think there is something to it. Also, Ray Shero defending him is absolutely adorable. What a wuss.
As little as Bill Simmons knows about hockey, he got this right: Sidney Crosby is a lifeless corpse when it comes to dealing with the public. Maybe it’s better he said no after all.
– The new NFL logos suck. All of them.
– Being five hours away this weekend meant I missed the Pirates game at HSBC Arena on Sunday. If you missed it as well, Roll the Highlight Film has a good recap of the day’s events. I’d check it out.
– Speaking of the Pirates, head coach Kevin Dineen was suspended indefinitely after something that happened in their Saturday night game against Syracuse. I spoke to someone in the crowd that night who said the game’s conclusion was downright bizarre.
The goal that was in dispute was never actually replayed in house, which probably caused a lot of the post-game conclusion. Either way it will be interesting to see how things are sorted out.
– If you’re curious to see how big musical instruments are transported across country, you should go read this blog as well. I have no idea who is writing it, but she seems nice.
– If you’re looking for someone awesome to follow on Twitter, go with Roger Ebert. He doesn’t sleep and links to awesome YouTube clips at all hours of the night. Sound familiar?
Some more structured writing is on the way, I promise. The Sabres have a big game coming tonight and another big weekend coming up. After the Olympic break and the deadline chaos it will be nice to get back into the swing of things. For now, bear with us.