We’ll let TSN.ca do the talking:
The Buffalo Sabres and defenceman Brian Campbell are still a ways apart on a new contract, as the veteran defenceman and his agent Larry Kelly are expected to turn down the team’s latest multi-year offer.
Sources told TSN that the deal, offered Wednesday, is a three-year contract averaging less than $6 million a season.
Campbell, who will become an unrestricted free agent on July, is making $1.75 million this year and is among several big names rumoured to be on the move going into Tuesday’s trade deadline.
Campbell is fourth on the team with 41 points (four goals, 37 assists) and ranks ninth among NHL defencemen in scoring.
In his eighth year with the Sabres, Campbell is coming off a career season, when he had 48 points (six goals, 42 assists) in 82 games last year
And from Sportsnet.ca:
Sportsnet.ca — Sportsnet has learned the Buffalo Sabres recently made a formal offer to Brian Campbell that the all-star defenceman rejected.
Sources said the Sabres were set to make Brian Campbell among the top-paid defenceman in the league but the stumbling block remained the length of the deal which was believed to be only in the three-year range.
Campbell, who will become an unrestricted free agent on July, has recorded four goals and 37 assists this season.
If the Sabres really wanted to keep him, they would offer more than three years. Like they did with Briere, this looks like a “We offered him a contract. We tried. He rejected it, what else do you want us to do?”-type situation just to save face. And to justify trading him in the public’s eye.
It’s been fun, Soupy. but it looks like you’ll be in another city by next Wednesday.